Sunday, June 12, 2011

Giffords and Thoughts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/12/gabrielle-giffords-photos_n_875498.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C215783 

When you harm another being, you take a great deal onto yourself. 

If you harm but do not kill, them you have to live with your responsibility for what the life of that being has become.   This applies to Congressman Giffords, to those who were paralyzed or who have brain damage from an auto collision, and to deer wounded by a careless hunter.

When I was a sripling, I was very aggressive and as soon as I learned to make what we called a "negro-shooter" out of a forked stick and rubber bands, I started shooting at birds.   Which did not make my grandfather, who taight me how to make such a weapon, very happy.  Especially when I shot at and injured a bird.  Then again, at Lake Colorado City, I threw a rock at a lizard and hit it, injuring its leg.  Each trip back there, my mother or grandfather would remind me of what I had done and would point out the gimpy lizard.  It's a lesson that most of us learn.  Never well enough to stop us from doing harm carelessly. 

Where this is seen most often is driving, where a vehicle hits another vehicle, pedestrian, or cyclist.  Especially the later two, where brain and/or spinal cord damage occurs so easily.

The prescription is the same.  We just have to think about what we are doing, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment